Are you self-conscious about your smile because of crooked or misaligned teeth? Traditional metal braces may have been the only option in the past, but today there are more discreet alternatives. One of the most popular options for adults is Invisalign, a clear aligner system that can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing. But is Invisalign right for you? Let’s take a closer look.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a clear aligner system that uses a series of custom-made, removable aligners to gradually straighten teeth. The aligners are made of clear, medical-grade plastic and are virtually invisible when worn.
Unlike traditional metal braces, which use metal brackets and wires to move the teeth, Invisalign aligners gently shift the teeth into the desired position. The aligners apply a controlled force to the teeth and are worn for about 22 hours a day. Treatment typically takes about 12-18 months, depending on the severity of the case.
Who Is a Candidate for Invisalign?
Invisalign is a popular option for adults who want to straighten their teeth without the visibility of traditional metal braces. However, it’s not suitable for everyone. Your orthodontist will be able to tell you if you’re a good candidate for Invisalign.
Invisalign is an effective treatment for adults with mild to moderate misalignment, bite issues, and crowding of the teeth. But if you have severe misalignment or bite problems, traditional braces or other orthodontic treatment may be a better option.
The Benefits of Invisalign
Here are some of the main benefits of Invisalign:
- Discretion: One of the biggest benefits of Invisalign is that the aligners are virtually invisible when worn, making them a popular choice for adults who want to straighten their teeth without the visibility of traditional metal braces.
- Comfort: The aligners are made of a smooth, medical-grade plastic, which means there’s less risk of mouth irritation compared to traditional metal braces. The aligners are also custom-made to fit your teeth, reducing discomfort and increasing the chances of successful treatment.
- Removability: With Invisalign, you can remove the aligners for eating and oral hygiene. This means you can continue to eat your favorite foods and maintain good oral hygiene throughout the treatment process. Traditional braces, on the other hand, can make it difficult to clean your teeth properly and may require a special diet to avoid breaking or damaging the braces.
- Predictability: Invisalign uses advanced 3D computer imaging technology to plan the treatment and create a customized treatment plan. This allows the orthodontist to have more control over the outcome and gives patients a clear idea of what to expect during the treatment.
- Speed: Invisalign treatment typically takes about 12 to 18 months, depending on the severity of the case. This is typically faster than traditional braces, which can take 2-3 years to complete.
- Flexibility: Invisalign is not only for adults, it can also be used to treat teens and can be effective in many cases, such as Crowded teeth, Overbite, Crossbite, Underbite, Gapped teeth, or Open bite.
The Cost of Invisalign
The cost of Invisalign varies depending on the complexity of the case and the location of the orthodontist. But in general, it’s similar to the cost of traditional metal braces.
Many dental insurance plans cover the cost of orthodontic treatment, but it’s worth checking with your provider to find out exactly what’s covered. Invisalign also offers financing options to help make treatment more affordable.
Is Invisalign Right for You?
Invisalign is a great option for adults who want to straighten their teeth without the visibility of traditional metal braces. But it’s not suitable for everyone. Your orthodontist will be able to tell you if you’re a good candidate for Invisalign and will create a personalized treatment plan to achieve the best possible outcome.
If you’re considering Invisalign, call (604) 526-2725 today and see if Invisalign is right for you. We look forward to hearing from you soon.